Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 12

Explore http://voicethread.com/  and tell me how you feel about it.
I have to say that my first impression of this is a great deal of interest. The idea of being able to record your own voice instead of a simple typed message combined with the ability to switch between slides and draw on them to further emphasize what you are referring to is extremely potent. I feel quite excited about the potential and versatility that is offered by this form of media. On the other hand, I feel a bit scared when I consider ways in which ignorant or unfeeling people could use it to harm others.

Would you use it for your lesson plan?
Yes, I would indeed use it for my lesson plan. I would find this to be an incredible resource for any lesson that included the internet as I could better convey the lesson by using this technology than I could ever do with simple text. By having the inflections and tone of my voice at my disposal, and the ability to draw on the relevant slides, I could more readily direct my students’ attention to where it needs to be for the lesson. Such media could revolutionize web-based learning.

Would you use it in the real classroom?
Yes, I would definitely use this in the real classroom.  This would give even shy students, who have trouble presenting their work to their peers, a way to give class presentations without having to worry about potential embarrassment from standing in front of the class.  It would also give the students the ability to comment on the lessons and the work of their peers in constructive and helpful ways that would further their understanding of the material.

Conclusion
This is an incredibly powerful resource for learning if used properly.  The versatility offered by the technology for imparting information is almost as great as what could be achieved with a live presence.  I can definitely see this becoming an indispensable part of the classroom of the future.

Citations
What's a voicethread anyway. (2007). [Web]. Retrieved from http://voicethread.com/?#q

1 comment:

  1. I also think that tone of voice is very important. I had not really thought of the harm that others' might inflict. I think there are cheaper, better ways to go about doing something similar. Just my opinion, but I think voice thread is rather pointless.

    Aimee McDurmon

    ReplyDelete